Wednesday, August 20, 2008

By The Way

"...I did not do this for anyone but myself. I did it because I thought it would be beautiful, and it is. I did it to be provoking, and shocking. And it seems to be. "

I feel like that sentence (the italicized one) is slightly misleading, and that I should clarify. I did look forward to the shock value of what I was doing. I always do. But I did it for the satisfaction I get from twisting people's assumptions. I get a lot of pleasure out of knowing that I have jolted someone's perceptions a bit. In a way its hard to admit that. I feel like people might begin to think that I only do things for their shock value. But that is only a secondary reward. I would never do anything that I didn't truly want to do anyway. If it does end up being provocative and makes people think, along with making me happy, well, that is a wonderful thing in my book. So, just to clear things up, yes, I enjoy being the weirdo. Yes, I like being noticed because I'm offbeat. But not at the expense of what I desire.

No comments: